All too frequently, succumbing to “retail therapy” is a sign that something else is wrong. This behavior can creep into every area of our lives – not just our role as audio consumer.
This can spill over into audio design as well, as the designer tries to either spend his way out of a design problem or alternatively adopt either an overly complex approach or brute force to solve a problem.
These tendencies stem from a “more is better” mindset and we need to be mindful of this.
The poor selection of demo music in the majority of the rooms at audio shows has always been a sore point with me and my circle of associates. There are many pleasant exceptions, but for the most part, the music in play is something I’d never sit through at a friend’s house. Apart from heavy metal and demo music, I can sit through most anything. There are both innocent and nefarious reasons for playing such simple music, and the show attendee needs to be especially aware of the nefarious reasons.
During the final review of the NiWatt drawings for the first production chassis run, we revisited all of our assumptions.
With this retrospective, we thought it would be a good opportunity to document the process – from initial concept on through production. There’s quite a bit to cover, and we’ll do this in a multi-part series.
After composing this first installment, it could easily have been titled “The NiWatt Design Manifesto”.
One of the big takeaways for us (no surprise) is that a design can’t be all things to all people. The good news was, that as we refined the design, we really didn’t have to make any compromises.
Frankly, I love the Eiger exactly as it sits, but I know that there are those who might miss out on its charms due to focusing on its noise floor performance. I get it – that there are idler drive fans and belt drive fans and you pick the combination of strengths and weaknesses that are most meaningful to you. My intent is to make this choice a difficult one – to close the gap between the two architectures.
Sometimes it’s a good idea to revisit your earlier experiments.
Tonight, I measured the success of last week’s motor subchassis prototype (click here for that post) – to see whether I had completely eliminated idler wheel scrubbing noise. The best way to do this was to retrofit a belt to see if there were any differences.